Guernsey Memorial Library Closing
The following actions are being taken because of the public health concerns surrounding COVID 19:
The library is closing and cancelling all public events including non-library events held in our venue as of 8:30 PM on Tuesday, March 17. The library will remain closed until further notice.
During this closing:
- We will thoroughly clean the library.
- There will be a “Little Free Library” on the porch of the library where the public can pick up free books. These materials will be taken from book sale donations. We will attempt to disinfect these materials but cannot guarantee them to be safe.
- We will check the book drop periodically and make sure the “Little Free Library” is full.
- We will not be accepting book donations.
- We will provide 24-hour/day, 7-day/week Wifi outside the building so that people with their own devices can still access Internet.
- We will suspend all library fines for the duration of the situation of health concern to encourage people to stay home if sick even if library materials are due.
- We will provide electronically available materials through GuernseyMemorialLibrary.org, including ebooks and audiobooks through Download Zone/Libby. If you need a card number or fine forgiveness to access this service, email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 607-334-4034 and leave a message. We will help you as soon as we are able.
We hope to reopen soon. Stay safe and healthy!
Monday – Thursday: 9am-8:30pm
Sunday: 1pm-4pm (closed Memorial Day – Labor Day)
Otis A. Thompson Local History Room email@example.com
Sunday: By Appointment (closed Memorial Day – Labor Day)
Saturday: By Appointment
Books from Birth
What is it? Books from Birth brings Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library to all children from birth to age five in Chenango County. Any child living in Chenango County can get a free book delivered to their home every month through the mail from the time they are born until they turn five!
Why do it? It is important for proper development for every child to begin to read books with their parents and caregivers long before they are old enough to go to school, yet many families don’t have books to share with their children in these early years. Books from Birth aims to solve this problem and give all Chenango County children and parents the books they need to help them enter kindergarten ready to learn and succeed in school. You can see some supporting research here.
Who is involved? The nine public libraries of Chenango County, along with their sponsors – Chenango United Way, Norwich Rotary, Greater Norwich Foundation, Guernsey Memorial Library’s Board of Trustees, Chobani, and private individuals like you.
How can I help? Books from Birth operates on grants and donations. If you would like to donate (it costs about $30 per year per child to provide the books,) we would welcome checks made out to Books from Birth at Guernsey Memorial Library, 3 Court Street, Norwich, NY 13815. If you would like to volunteer with the program, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What else can I do to help my child learn to read and be successful? Reading together is only the beginning. Here are some other activities to try that tie in with the books: Imagination Library Book Activity Ideas, Bicycle Story Hour Plan, Train Story Hour Plan, Dog Story Hour Plan.
71737total visits,18visits today